Seaton Village was originally settled by Colonel David Shank and Captain Samuel Smith. Both men were loyalists who served under John Graves Simcoe in the Queens Rangers during the American Revolution. All of the Lots west of Bathurst Street were granted to military men: Col. David Shank, Capt. MacDonnell (an aide-de-camp of General Brock), Capt. Samuel Smith, and Capt. Æneas Shaw (another captain in the Queen’s Rangers, a good friend of General Brock).
The Shank and Smith farm lots were acquired by George Crookshank in the early 1800s, who was a successful merchant in York, born in New York City in 1773. His parents, George Crookshank, Sr. and Catherine Norris, had been merchants in New York during the American Revolution. As they had sided with the British during that conflict, they lost everything. After the war they made their way to Upper Canada via New Brunswick, settling in York. George Crookshank, Jr. became a land speculator, and purchased the lots previously owned by Col. Shank, Capt. Smith and others. His property, which included his original 330 acres that had been granted by the Crown, now stretched from between Bathurst and Niagara Street, north to Davenport Road. He built a house in 1801 just north of Fort York on Front Street, west of Bathurst. His country home was located along Bathurst, just north of Bloor. A laneway from the Crookshank house ran north to his country farm, which is now part of Bathurst Street.
In the 1850’s the Village was laid out on the old Crookshank farm, but it wasn’t until 1888 when Seaton Village was annexed by the City of Toronto.
The Village is named after John Colborne, 1st Baron Seaton, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada from 1828 to 1836. Seaton Village is bordered by Bloor Street to the south, Dupont Street to the north, Christie Street to the west, and Bathurst Street to the east. It is within the broader 'The Annex' neighbourhood, as defined by the City of Toronto. Although the Koreatown shopping district is at its southern border, it is sometimes referred to as the "West Annex". While Seaton Village shares several characteristics with the area to the east (notably its architecture and its popularity with University of Toronto students), it is generally quieter, family-oriented, and with smaller, less expensive homes.